Tenpoint and Ravin are two of the biggest giants in the crossbow industry. Each year they release some of the best high-end crossbows on the market. Often they release crossbows to go head to head against each other. Tenpoint Viper S400 and Ravin R10 are two of them.
Both of them are priced quite similarly and packs a similar set of specifications. They have their differences and similarities. Which one should you take then? I hope reading the battle of these two will clear up your confusion. Or create more? Haha! Let’s find out.
Tenpoint Viper S400 vs Ravin R10: Outlooks
Tenpoint Viper S400 vs Ravin R10: Specs Table
|Specs||Tenpoint Viper S400||Ravin R10|
|Speed||400 FPS||400 FPS|
|Kinetic Energy||132 FP-KE||142 FP-KE|
|Power Stroke||11 Inches||11 Inches|
|Draw Style/Weight||Forward Draw||12 LBS|
|Axle To Axle||11 / 7.2 Inches||6 / 10.5 Inches|
|Length||32 Inches||33 Inches|
|Weight||7.5 LBS||6.8 LBS|
|Reviews||Tenpoint Crossbows||Ravin Crossbows|
Tenpoint Viper S400 & Ravin R10: Key Differences
- The first difference between the two is the weight. The Ravin R10 is a bit lighter & compact than Tenpoint Viper S400.
- Funny thing is, even though Ravin R10 is the most compact among the two, it’s 1″ longer than the Viper S400. Now 1″ of height difference should never dictate the decision-making. But hey it’s there if you are looking for it.
- Both of them uses cranking aid device. While Tenpoint Viper S400 mentions the ACUslide drawing aid, Ravin doesn’t mention the drawing aid on their end.
- The trigger mechanism is different on the two.
- Ravin R10 can generate 142 FP-KE kinetic energy while Tenpoint Viper S400 can generate 132 FP-KE.
Reason To Choose The Tenpoint Viper S400?
TenPoint Viper S400 is the costlier among the two. Why choose this over the Ravin R10 then? The reasons are quite simple for me. The cranking aid is better on the TenPoint Viper S400. Other than that, there isn’t much thing that is better on the Viper than R10.
One thing you can consider better on it is the Micro-Trac barrel. Micro-Trac barrel increases the longevity of the bowstring. It minimizes the contact between the string and the rail. Thus making the crossbow more silent and efficient.
Reason To Choose The Ravin R10?
Ravin R10 has a lot of features that can be considered better than the Viper S400. The main thing, it’s more compact and lighter. That’s what we look for in a crossbow for hunting. A lightweight yet powerful crossbow.
Both of the crossbows can fire arrows at up to 400 FPS of speed. But Ravin R10 can generate a little more power than the Viper S400. If power is your main priority, which makes the Ravin R10 the better crossbow among the two.
- Fully Assembled/Pre Tuned: 3 Ravin Branded Arrows and Ravin Nocks; 1 x Removable Cocking Handle; 1 x Quiver/Mounting Bracket; 3 x 100 Grain Practice Field Points
- 100 Yard Illuminated Scope; Built-in Sling Mounts
- Built-In Versa-Draw Cocking Mechanism
- Shorter guide design; Safety switch design
- Anti-Dry Fire/Auto Safety; Helicoil technology
Tenpoint Viper S400: Disadvantages
No crossbow is 100% flawless. Even the most expensive crossbow has some cons. The main con of the Viper S400 for me was the speed rating. Why? Is TenPoint false advertising? Yes and no.
TenPoint uses different grain arrows to measure the top speed. If you want to hit 400 FPS every shot, you need to use the arrows provided by TenPoint themselves. That makes you highly dependent on TenPoint. Which everyone might not like.
Ravin R10: Disadvantages
Ravin R10 is one of the best sub $2000 crossbows on the market. The only cons of this crossbow at first was the price. When it came out first, the price tag was quite high for this crossbow. That calmed down as time went by. Besides the price tag, the main con of the crossbow is the cranking aid.
The cranking aid sometimes creates issues while decocking. Thanks to the safety decocking mechanism installed in this crossbow, you won’t accidentally fire the crossbow on the fly. But the cranking aid does acts clumsy sometimes. Making it annoying.
Tenpoint Viper S400 vs Ravin R10: Videos
Tenpoint Viper S400 vs Ravin R10 Summary
Battle Of The Galacticos. That’s what I would title the fight between TenPoint Viper S400 vs Ravin R10. Even though none of them are the most expensive crossbows on the market. Both can be considered high-end crossbows.
For me, the clear winner here was Ravin R10. The scope on the Ravin R10 is slightly worse and packs fewer features compared to Viper S400. Besides that, on almost all the aspects Ravin R10 has beaten the TenPoint Viper S400. Even in the price-game, Ravin will come ahead.
Yet, whichever you choose, you won’t be wrong. The differences are not night and day. It’s manageable. But if you want the best crossbow on paper and tune it to perform on the field as well, go for the Ravin R10.